Fri, Jul 12|
Del Norte High School
Advanced Session #1: Speed, Strength & Power
Learn how to get faster, stronger, and more powerful. Ideal for advanced high school sprinters, hurdlers, jumpers, and throwers (at least one season of High School T&F experience). Appropriate for youth, college, adults, and athletes in other sports (e.g., soccer, football, basketball, etc.)
Time & Location
Jul 12, 2019, 9:30 AM – 1:00 PM PDT
Del Norte High School, 16601 Nighthawk Ln, San Diego, CA 92127, USA
About the event
1. Athlete and Parent Guide: If you are attending the event (or considering it) kindly review the Event Guide to best prepare and know what to expect.
2. Pre-Event Survey: If you are attending the event (or considering it) please fill in the Pre-Event Survey Here to help the coaches and staff plan.
- 9:30-10:00am. Introduction and dynamic warmup
- 10:00-10:45am. Athlete Assessment & Testing (Combine style)
- 10:45-11:00am. Break and review report cards from Assessments
- 11:00am-11:50am. Review important exercises and drills for Speed, Strength & Power, receive individualized guidance and technique breakdown
- 11:50am-12:00pm. Break and migrate to classroom for lunch
- 12:00-1:00pm. Lunch, parent attendance encouraged, take-home message, short speeches
4. Athlete Assessment and Testing
Each athlete will perform a basic test of Speed, Strength. & Power. Athletes will be split into four or five rotating groups. Click for additional details and testing protocol from Team USA. The assessment will consist of five exercises:
- Underhand forward shotput toss
- Overhead back shotput toss
- Standing long jump
- Standing vertical jump
- 30m dash flying (top speed the whole time)
5. Coaches and speakers
- Mickey Ferri, Event Host, Del Norte T&F Coach, Sprints and Relays
- Allison Halverson, Professional Heptathlete, 2012 & 2016 Olympic Trials, USATF Level 2 Coach, B.S. SDSU
- Vic Cabali, Parisi Speed School, Co-Program Director, San Diego, B.S. Kinesiology Exercise Science CSUSM, NASM Certified Personal Trainer, USAPL Coach Certified, 7 years Powerlifting experience, Nationally qualified 83kg USAPL Powerlifter, Best Lifts (USAPP): 446 lbs Squat, 325 lbs Bench, 611 lbs Deadlift
- Bashir Ramzy, Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center, Coach and Former Athlete, Long jump, Triple jump, Hurdles, Sprints & Relays, PRs include long jump (27'1"), triple jump (53'8"), and 110 hurdles (13.61)
- Ann Stefan, Del Norte T&F Coach, Jumps
- Tina Breen, USATF San Diego Board Member, Memberships
6. Athlete Assessment and Off-season Training
As part of the clinic, each athlete will receive a FREE assessment of their individual ratings in speed, strength, and power. Athletes will receive personalized guidance on how to improve their own speed, strength, and power, including an off-season training program, which will be in-part based on the assessments.
7. Additional details
Come prepared to exercise, learn, and have fun! Dress in athletic clothing, and prepare as you would for an intense workout or competition. While snacks and water will be provided, we encourage you to bring your own as well. Click here for the Economics Athletes guide to prepare for track practice.
8. USATF Discount code
This event is $40 for USATF members. All three Advanced sessions are $100 for USATF San Diego members. If you are a current USATF San Diego member, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and member ID. Then you will receive a reply email with the discount code. Click for USATF SD membership.
USATF Summer - Adv 1: SS&P
This is a ticket to the USATF Summer Clinic at Del Norte High School on July 12, 2019. Advanced Session #1: Speed, Strength & Power.
USATF - All Three Advanced
This is a ticket to all three Advanced sessions for high school athletes: July 12, 19, and 26th, 2019